The Stepford Cuckoos are five telepaths working for the Inner Circle. They helped Emma Frost try to eliminate Charles Xavier, which made Jean Grey release the Phoenix's power and destroy the X-Mansion.
A year later, they tried to trick a captured Jean into removing the mental barriers herself using illusions of Cyclops along with Emma's illusion of Charles. After this failed, Emma left to help the X-Men and then tried to harness the Phoenix's power for themselves by creating illusions of Jean Grey, Charles, Magneto, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch attacking a young Jean, tricking her into releasing the Phoenix which consumed them and made them destroy the Sentinels and almost killing the X-Men, if Emma had not taken the Phoenix, removing the girls from the Phoenix's control and killing her. Oddly, the Cuckoos were still in their Phoenix Force costumes when released from the Phoenix's control.
- Telepathic Hive Mind: The Stepford Cuckoos have a linked hive mind, which allows them to share thoughts and maintain a continuous telepathic connection. The link is strongest when the girls are in close physical proximity. Their collective mind also allows for increased telepathic strength and shared intellect. The girls' powers are greater the sum of its parts. A stronger personality can take lead of the hive mind, but the girls still maintain their independence.
- Telepathy: The Cuckoos can read minds and project their thoughts to others. Though they individually possess their own telepathy, but their telepathic abilities are greater when the girls join together. The girls have stated that together they can block even very talented telepaths from reading their minds.
- Telepathic Illusion: The Cuckoos can create realistic psychic illusions and cause people to experience events which are not actually occurring.
- Telepathic Tracking: The Cuckoos' psionic senses enable them to detect and track other sentient beings by their unique psionic emanations or thought patterns. This ability is highly sensitive to proximity.
- Mental Triangulation: Due to their hive mind, the Cuckoos have the perspective of three directions and are able to triangulate on individuals' minds.
- Telepathic Tracking: Enhanced psionic senses enable a telepath to detect and track other sentient beings by their unique psionic emanations (thought patterns contained in the psionic portion of the spectrum), especially if they pose a threat to one's well-being in their immediate vicinity.
- Psychic Shadow: The ability to mask oneself, and other peoples' presence, from those within a certain area. Telepaths can also disguise themselves, making their appearance similar to that of a shadow.
- Although it was never officially confirmed in the show, the Stepford Cuckoos are clones of Emma Frost in the comics.